Reset, Repeat, Remember Why I Started

 The last time I wrote, I talked about slowing down and making space for calm. Since then, I have actually been doing it. Not perfectly, but consistently enough that life feels steadier. I have been going to the gym regularly, keeping my shifts balanced, and staying on top of uni work without feeling like I am on the edge of burnout again. It feels different this time. Less survival mode and more choosing how I want my days to look.

One thing that surprised me is how much writing things down helps. I started using a simple daily list technique where I put the most important tasks in front of me instead of keeping them circling in my head. According to research, writing tasks down increases clarity and reduces stress by giving your brain less to hold at once (Carroll, 2018). It sounds small, but small has been working. There is something calming about having a plan rather than just reacting to everything around me.

I have also been spending more time outside. This past weekend I was in Scotland for a three day camping and hiking trip. It was the kind of trip that resets you without you even realising it. Early mornings, quiet paths, and a sky you cannot ignore. Being outdoors can boost mood and improve mental clarity because of the reduced noise and increased time in nature (Barton and Pretty, 2010). I came home tired in the best way. It reminded me that life feels lighter when I do things that actually mean something to me.

The gym has stayed part of my routine too, but it feels less like proving something and more like taking care of myself. Work has been steady. I am managing my time instead of watching it disappear. I have still been paying attention to my spending as well. Not through strict rules, but through small choices that show consideration for my future self. Studies suggest that building habits through gradual behaviour change is more sustainable than trying to overhaul everything at once (Duhigg, 2012). That has felt true for me. It is the slow, consistent decisions that are keeping me grounded.

So this is where I am now. Still learning. Still adjusting. Still figuring out what balance looks like week to week. The difference is that I feel present. I feel like I am choosing my days, not just surviving them. That is something I want to keep.

If you are trying to get your life back into your own hands, maybe start small. Write the day down. Take a walk. Cook one meal. Say no once. Let progress be quiet.

It counts.



Comments